Faith raises us above our circumstances. It enables us to be content even when life doesn’t make sense. Faith is the bulwark that keeps us strong even when we’re assailed by agonising thoughts about what might happen or by what has happened. Faith is a component in our relationship with God and in our ability to be content. But what is faith, really?
Faith is something we own – like we have a title deed to. It’s ours. But we must do more than possess faith intellectually – we must own it in our heart. Faith is not something to be reasoned from afar, but something we thrown ourselves into – heart, mind and soul.
God does not demand that you and I have ‘blind’ faith, but abandoned faith, a faith that trusts Him fully. Through His Word, God willingly reveals much about who He is, what His plans are, and what He requires of us. As we come to see Him and know Him, He urges, “Trust Me.” Hundreds of times in the Bible God implores us to trust HIm. We tend to make trust a grey area, but with God, the issues is often black and white. We either trust Him or we don’t. We’re for Him or we’re against Him.
Faith is linked to God’s Word in two vital life-giving ways:
Based on God’s Word, Not Feelings
First, faith is based on God’s Word, not on our feelings. Whilst are feelings can be strong:
- God’s Word is truer than anything we feel.
- God’s Word is truer than anything we experience.
- God’s Word is truer than any circumstance we will ever face.
- God says of His Word, ‘Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away’ (Matthew 24:35) and, ‘The Word of the Lord stands forever’ (1 Peter 1:25).
You can trust God’s Word always to tell you Who God is and what God has promised to you.
Rooted in God’s Character
Second, faith is rooted in God’s character, which is revealed by God’s Word. God gave us His Word to reveal to us He desires for us. He sent us His Son Jesus, the “Word made flesh” to show us what He is like. God’s Word tells us repeatedly, through countless verses and true stories that:
- God is Sovereign. He controls all things. He is in control of all the uncontrollable of our lives – what we can’t see, what doesn’t make sense to us, and what we don’t understand. His absolute sovereignty means that I can trust Him with my tiniest doubt or with my most heart-wrenching fear.
- God is Wise. The word wisdom in the Bible is the translation of a Hebrew word that means, “skill”. Applied to God, it means that He has the skill necessary to direct us in any and every situation. He is the Great Physician, the Healer, the skilful Creator. He knows everything about you and the entire world, and therefore all that happens will ultimately be for our God and His glory.
- God is Love. God’s Word tells us that He loves us with an everlasting love (Jeremiah 31:3). God promises that He will go before you, that He will always be with you, that He will never, never, never leave you nor forsake you (Hebrews 13:5). Nothing – not death, nor life, angels nor demons, the present nor the future – nothing in all of creation is able to separate you from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus. Faith in God is so much easier when we have the confident assurance that He loves us!
Walking by faith is difficult, but our faith pleases our Holy God (Hebrews 11:6), and we do not walk the path alone. Our wise, sovereign, loving Lord walks with us….. always.